For fans of Ali Benjamin's The Thing About Jellyfish and Katherine Applegate's Crenshaw comes the humorous and heart-aching story of one girl's struggle to keep hope alive for her and her younger sister in Sunny Pines Trailer Park.
Twelve-year-old Olivia Hales has a foolproof plan for winning a million dollars so that she and her little sister, Berkeley, can leave behind Sunny Pines Trailer Park.
But first she has to:
- Fix the swamp cooler and make dinner and put Berkeley to bed because her mom is too busy to do all that.
- Write another letter to her dad even though he hasn't written back yet.
- Teach Berk the important stuff, like how to make chalk drawings, because they can't afford day care and Olivia has to stay home from school to watch her.
- Petition her oddball neighbors for a circus spectacular, because there needs to be something to look forward to at dumb-bum Sunny Pines.
- Become a super-secret spy to impress her new friend, Bart.
- Enter a minimum of 14 sweepstakes a day. Who knows? She may already be a winner!
Olivia has thought of everything...except herself. Who will take care of her when she needs it? Luckily, somewhere deep down between her small intestine and stomach is a tiny voice reminding her that sometimes people can surprise you - and sometimes your family is right next door.