An astonishing collection of fifty of the greatest short stories ever written by some of literature's most highly acclaimed writers.
1. "Odour of Chrysanthemums" by D. H. Lawrence
2. "Miss Harriet" by Guy de Maupassant
3. "Twenty-six Men and a Girl" by Maxim Gorky
4. "Hot Potatoes" by Arnold Bennett
5. "Rats" by M. R. James
6. "Zodomirsky’s Duel" by Alexandre Dumas
7. "The Story of an Hour" by Kate Chopin
8. "The Cask of Amontillado" by Edgar Allan Poe
9. "The Encased Man" by Anton Chekhov
10. "A Candle" by Count Leo Tolstoy
11. "Malachi’s Cove" by Anthony Trollope
12. "Nine O’Clock" by Wilkie Collins
13. "The Drover’s Wife" by Henry Lawson
14. "The Mines of Falun" by E. T. A. Hoffmann
15. "The Marquise" by George Sand
16. "Lost in a Pyramid" by Louisa May Alcott
17. "The Pistol-Shot" by Alexander Pushkin
18. "The Three Strangers" by Thomas Hardy
19. "The Boarded Window" by Ambrose Bierce
20. "Spindleberries" by John Galsworthy
21. "The Chaplet" by Saki
22. "In the Reign of Terror" by Anatole France
23. "Portrait of a Lady" by Jerome K. Jerome
24. "The Venturers" by O. Henry
25. "Mons. Cassecruche’s Inspiration" by George Walter Thornbury
26. "A Witch in the Peak" by R. Murray Gilchrist
27. "The Brown Wallet" by Stacy Aumonier
28. "The King of the Golden River" by John Ruskin
29. "The Reverend Father Gaucher’s Elixir" by Alphonse Daudet
30. "The Honest Thief" by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
31. "The Model Millionnaire" by Oscar Wilde
32. "The One Million Pound Bank Note" by Mark Twain
33. "The Monkey’s Paw" by W. W. Jacobs
34. "The Man with the Watches" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
35. "A Poor Gentleman" by George Gissing
What listeners say about Literary Treasures
Reviews - Please select the tabs below to change the source of reviews.
- Anonymous User
Cathy Dobson's reading is AWFUL.
Love the stories but my god Cathy Dobson's performance is grating. She adds a bizarre inflection/emphasis to the end of every sentence. It's enough to drive you mad while you're listening! How did they ever approve this reading?! It's a real shame because the stories are wonderful pieces of fiction.
I caught myself laughing crying and clapping my hands like a live performance. Beautifully narrated I will revisit this "Treasure" often.
6 people found this helpful
- Patricia H. Keane
The stories are good
What could have made this a 4 or 5-star listening experience for you?
Cathy Dobson ruined these stories by reading them as if they were nursery rhymes.
Who was your favorite character and why?
N/A Short Stories
How did the narrator detract from the book?
It was very hard to follow the stories as the narrator had such a sing-song way of reading, the sense of the words was lost.
What reaction did this book spark in you? Anger, sadness, disappointment?
Anger and disappointment. Sad to have wasted my credit.
1 person found this helpful
- 60 plus
Very dissapointed with the narration:(
If this book wasn’t for you, who do you think might enjoy it more?
I don't know , I couldn't listen to five mins of it.
Would you be willing to try another one of Cathy Dobson’s performances?
Any additional comments?
I hadn't got round to listening to this till today, thought it would be a great addition to my collection, and now I expect it is too late to return it!