Judge holds advertisers in contempt of court over Shinnecock billboards
Failed to add items
Add to basket failed.
Add to Wish List failed.
Remove from Wish List failed.
Follow podcast failed
Unfollow podcast failed
-
Narrated by:
-
By:
About this listen
A Suffolk County judge has cleared the Shinnecock Nation Board of Trustees of contempt of court over the operation of two electronic billboards on Sunrise Highway in Hampton Bays, in defiance of a 2019 restraining order — but instead held two commercial advertising companies that built and operate the billboards in contempt. Michael Wright reports on 27east.com that the judge also ordered that the billboards be shut down, in accordance with a 2024 ruling from a higher court.
The “defendants shall immediately cease operation of the billboards and advertising displays located within the State of New York’s right-of-way on New York State Route 27,” Supreme Court Justice Maureen Licccione wrote in a ruling handed down on Monday afternoon.
Shinnecock Nation Tribal Trustee Chairwoman Lisa Goree said the tribe has no intention of ordering the billboards turned off. “We’re definitely not turning those signs off,” she said yesterday after reading the ruling.
Justice Liccione ruled that the two commercial defendants, IDON Media and Iconic Digital Display, had violated a restraining order that was in place starting May 2019 barring the construction and operation of the billboards. She ordered the two companies, which are owned by the same person, to pay fines of just $250 each, plus unspecified attorneys’ fees to the State Department of Transportation for the costs of arguing the contempt charge. Chairwoman Goree said that she did not expect the “slap on the wrist” of the $250 fines imposed against Iconic and IDON Media and their principal, Larry Clark, to spur the company to break its contract with the tribe and shut down the billboards.
She reiterated the tribe’s belief that the state claims of authority over the Route 27 right-of-way in Hampton Bays are flawed because the easement was not created through a legal process in dealing with Indigenous nations.
***
It’s official. Challenger Jerry Halpin has ousted Riverhead Town Supervisor Tim Hubbard. Halpin narrowly defeated Hubbard by a margin of 37 votes, according to official results released by the Suffolk County Board of Elections Tuesday afternoon. The final tally came after the completion of a manual recount of all votes cast, which began Monday morning and concluded yesterday. The final tally was 3,958 votes for Halpin to 3,921 votes for Hubbard. Denise Civiletti reports on Riverheadlocal.com that Hubbard, a Republican who served on the Riverhead Town Board for eight years before being elected supervisor in 2023, was seeking re-election to a second term as supervisor. Halpin, a newcomer to electoral politics, is pastor at the North Shore Christian Church in Riverhead. “I look forward to getting to work and putting the taxpayers first,” the supervisor-elect told Riverheadlocal.com. “I’m excited. I want to get to work. I plan on leading well and leading by example— servant leadership with humility,” Halpin said. “We will lead our town together,” he said, referring to the rest of the Town Board. Halpin, who is not registered to any political party, will take his seat as the only member of the Riverhead Town Board who is not a Republican.
***
The 49th annual Turkey Trots start at 10 a.m. tomorrow...that's Thanksgiving morning at The Circle in downtown Montauk. Jack Graves reports on 27east.com that there were 1,012 who finished these 3- and 6-mile races around Fort Pond two years ago. And last year, while the weather was said to be the snottiest in the races’ history, 600 or so celebrants of all ages flocked together. Proceeds from this event which began in 1976, go to food pantries in the Town of East Hampton.
Medals are awarded to racers male and female of all ages.
For more information and to sign up, go to events.elitefeats.com/25mtktt.
***
Electoral