Adoption is a life-changing and transformational decision. The problem is, where do you start? How do you prepare yourself for this epic journey? What can you do, to become the best possible parent?
In this practical guide, adoptive parent Helen Oakwater helps you to understand the ins and outs of adoption. Using Helen’s insights and tips, you will become better at understanding what makes you tick, and learn how to become calmer, kinder to yourself, and identify what helps or hinders. Only when you have learned how to look after yourself can you nurture a hurt child.
Want to Adopt? takes an in-depth look at parenting a child from the care system and explores:
- The types of children awaiting a new home.
- What to expect (or not) from an adopted or foster child.
- Why all children are different.
- How to understand your child’s wants and needs.
- How to increase empathy and understanding.
- How to make a robust decision you will not regret.
“This beautifully written, informative book is packed with Helen’s in-depth knowledge, training, and personal experiences; an excellent and honest guide for any parents in waiting.” (Daniela Shanly, adoptive parent and Founder, Beech Lodge School)