Pop on your headphones, and hit 'play' - Australia, let's talk about love.
Marriage equality is a subject that's captured the hearts and minds of Australians for years, and the topic of love is one for the ages. What is it to love and be loved? What does it mean to have our relationships recognised by the communities we are a part of? These questions and more are explored in Listen to Love, a six-part original audio series from Audible.com.au in partnership with The Equality Campaign.
Listen to Love features some of Australia's favourite voices, including comedian Tom Ballard as host, comedian Joel Creasey with an original stand-up routine, writer and philosopher Damon Young with a thought-provoking discussion on the ethics of love and marriage, TV and radio personality Osher Günsberg reading classic love poetry, and Australian author Catherine Cole with a short story providing a timely reminder that how we experience love is how we experience the world. Bringing us up to speed on the issue of marriage equality in Australia is Dr Shirleene Robinson, a historian focusing on the evolving treatment of gay, lesbian and transgender Australians.
We also hear from everyday Australians whose lives are touched by the ongoing conversation about marriage equality. LGBTIQ couples sit down with broadcaster and performer Joel Carnegie to speak candidly about their relationships, and siblings Angie and Brent Greene explore the family dynamic of love as well as the issue of sexual discrimination in sport. These intimate real-life stories of love and commitment demonstrate the barriers faced by those Australians who are not presently able to marry the ones they love.
Listen to Love is free to download and listen to - don't miss your opportunity to hear these powerful Australian stories brought to you by Audible.com.au and The Equality Campaign.
About the Listen to Love series:
- Episode 1: Second Class Citizen - Joel Carnegie with LBGTIQ couples
- Episode 2: What Is Love? - with Joel Creasey, featuring the poem 'Glisten' by Quinn Eades from the collection Rallying
- Episode 3: So What's The Status Quo? - Tom Ballard with Dr Shirleene Robinson, featuring the poem 'To Be One with Each Other' by George Elliot
- Episode 4: Standing Up for Us - Angie and Brent Greene, featuring the poem 'Sonnet 116' by William Shakespeare
- Episode 5: The Ethics of Love - Damon Young, featuring 1 Corinthians 13:4-8
- Episode 6: Mother Love - by Catherine Cole, narrated by Louise Siverse, featuring the poem 'Love's Philosophy' by Percy Bysshe Shelley
Production of The Space Company for Audible Originals.