Audible.com.au Privacy Notice
Last updated: 1st April 2018
Audible.com.au (Audible) knows that you care how information about you is used and shared and we appreciate your trust in us to do that carefully and sensibly. This notice applies to information collected by Audible Australia Pty Ltd or its affiliates (“Audible”) in connection with Audible.com.au and other sites and services operated by Audible as we disclose to you.
- What Personal Information About Customers Does Audible Gather?
- What About Cookies?
- Does Audible Share the Information It Receives?
- How Secure Is Information About Me?
- What About Third-Party Advertisers and Links to Other Websites?
- Which Information Can I Access?
- What Choices Do I Have?
- Are Children Allowed to Use Audible?
- Notices and Revisions
- Examples of Information Collected
What Personal Information About Customers Does Audible Gather?
The information we learn from customers helps us personalise and continually improve your shopping experience at Audible. We use the information to handle orders, deliver products and services, process payments, communicate with you about orders, products, services and promotional offers, update our records and generally maintain your accounts with us, display content such as wish lists and customer reviews and recommend merchandise and services that might be of interest to you. We also use this information to improve our services, store, websites and applications (together “sites”), prevent or detect fraud or abuses of our Websites and enable third parties to carry out technical, logistical or other functions on our behalf.
Here are the types of information we gather
- Information You Give Us: We receive and store any information you enter on our sites or give us in any other way. Click here to see examples of what we collect . You can choose not to provide certain information, but then you might not be able to take advantage of many of our features. We use the information that you provide for such purposes as responding to your requests, customising future shopping for you, improving our stores, and communicating with you.
- Automatic Information: We receive and store certain types of information whenever you interact with us. For example, like many websites, we use "cookies" and we obtain certain types of information when your browser accesses sites or advertisements and other content served by or on behalf of Audible on other Web sites. Click here to see examples of the information we receive.
- E-mail Communications: To help us make e-mails more useful and interesting, we often receive a confirmation when you open e-mail from Audible if your computer supports such capabilities. We also compare our customer list to lists received from other companies in an effort to avoid sending unnecessary messages to our customers. If you do not want to receive e-mail or other mail from us, please adjust your Contact Preferences.
- Mobile: When you download or use apps created by Amazon or our subsidiaries, we may receive information about your location and your mobile device, including a unique identifier for your device. We may use this information to provide you with location-based services, such as advertising, search results, and other personalized content. Most mobile devices allow you to turn off location services. For more information about how to do this, click here.
- Information from Other Sources: We might receive information about you from other sources and add it to our account information. Click here to see examples of the information we receive.
What About Cookies?
- Cookies are unique identifiers that we transfer to your device to enable our systems to recognise your device and to provide such features such as storage of items in your Shopping Basket between visits.
If you do leave cookies turned on, be sure to sign off when you finish using a shared computer.
Does Audible Share the Information It Receives?
Information about our customers is an important part of our business, and we are not in the business of selling it to others. Audible share customer information only as described below, with Audible Inc. and with Audible Inc.'s parent company Amazon.com, Inc. and the subsidiaries which Amazon.com, Inc., controls and that are either subject to this Privacy Notice or follow practices at least as protective as those described in this Privacy Notice. These Audible and Amazon entities may be located in other countries.
- Third-Party Service Providers: We employ other companies and individuals to perform functions on our behalf. Examples include sending postal mail and e-mail, removing repetitive information from customer lists, analysing data, providing marketing assistance, providing search results and links (including paid listings and links), processing credit card payments and providing customer service. They have access to personal information needed to perform their functions, but may not use or disclose it for other purposes. Further, they must process the personal information in accordance with this Privacy Notice and as permitted by law including the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
- Business Transfers: As we continue to develop our business, we might sell or buy stores, subsidiaries, or business units. In such transactions, customer information generally is one of the transferred business assets but remains subject to the promises made in any pre-existing Privacy Notice (unless, of course, the customer consents otherwise). Also, in the event that our parent company Audible, Inc., or substantially all of its assets are acquired, customer information will of course be one of the transferred assets.
- Protection of Audible and Others: We release account and other personal information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law; enforce or apply our Audible Australia Service Conditions of Use and other agreements; or protect the rights, property, or safety of Audible, our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction. Obviously, however, this does not include selling, renting, sharing, or otherwise disclosing personally identifiable information from customers for commercial purposes in a way that is contrary to the commitments made in this Privacy Notice.
With Your Consent: Other than as set out above, you will receive notice when information about you might go to third parties, and you will have an opportunity to choose not to share the information.
How Secure Is Information About Me?
- We work to protect the security of your credit card information during transmission by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software, which encrypts information you input.
- We reveal only the last four digits of your credit card numbers when confirming an order. Of course, we transmit the entire credit card number to the appropriate credit card company during order processing.
- We maintain physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in connection with the collection, storage and disclosure of personally identifiable customer information. Our security procedures mean that we may occasionally request proof of identity before we disclose personal information to you.
- It is important for you to protect against unauthorised access to your password and to your computer. Be sure to sign off when finished using a shared computer.
What About Third-Party Advertisers and Links to Other Websites?
Our site may include third-party advertising and links to other Web sites. We do not provide any personally identifiable customer information to these third-party Web sites.
What Information Can I Access?
Audible gives you access to a broad range of information about your account and your interactions with Audible for the limited purpose of viewing and, in certain cases, updating that information. Click here to see some examples . This list will change as our sites evolve.
What Choices Do I Have?
- As discussed above, you can always choose not to provide information, even though it might be needed to make a purchase or to take advantage of such Audible.com.au features as special sales and promotions, Customer Reviews or Recommendations. You can add or update certain information on pages such as those referenced in the "Which Information Can I Access?" section. When you update information, we usually keep a copy of the previous version for our records.
- If you do not want to receive e-mail or other mail from us, please adjust your Contact Preferences. (If you do not want to receive Conditions of Use and other legal notices from us, such as this Privacy Notice, those notices will still govern your use of Audible and orders placed with Audible, and it is your responsibility to review them for changes.)
Are Children Allowed to Use Audible.com.au?
Audible does not sell products to children. We sell children's products for purchase by adults. If you are under 18, you may use Audible only with the involvement of a parent or guardian.
Conditions of Use, Notices, and Revisions
If you choose to visit Audible, your visit and any dispute over privacy is subject to this Privacy Notice and to our Audible Australia Service Conditions of Use, including limitations on damages, resolution of disputes, and choice of law. If you have any concern about privacy at Audible, please contact us with a thorough description, and we will try to resolve the issue for you. Our business changes constantly, and our Privacy Notice and our Audible Australia Service Conditions of Use will change also. We may e-mail periodic reminders of our notices and conditions, unless you have instructed us not to, but you should check our sites frequently to see recent changes. Unless stated otherwise, our current Privacy Notice applies to all information that we have about you and your account. We stand behind the promises we make, however, and will never materially change our policies and practices to make them less protective of customer information collected in the past without the consent of affected customers.
Examples of Information Collected
Information You Give UsYou provide most such information when you search, buy, participate in a contest or questionnaire or communicate with customer service. For example, you provide information when you: search for a product; place an order through Audible; provide information in My Account; communicate with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise; complete a questionnaire or a contest entry form; compile Wish Lists, provide and rate Reviews; and share products with friends. As a result of those actions, you might supply us with such information as: your name; address and phone numbers; credit card information; people to whom purchases have been shipped (including addresses and phone numbers); email addresses of friends and other people; and content of reviews and e-mails to us.
Information From Other SourcesExamples of information we receive from other sources include demographic information.
Information You Can AccessExamples of information you can access easily at Audible include: up-to-date information regarding recent orders; personally identifiable information (including name, e-mail, password, communications preferences, shipping and billing addresses); credit card information; and your Wish List. Other Audible-specific information that can be accessed includes your Membership/Account details, Your Content Library (My Library) and, Your Past Reviews and Ratings.